I called my sister yesterday and guess what? they prepared my favourite soup. mmh it took me back home, I do not even remember the last time I consumed that soup. this soup is prepared with palm nut and the combination of vegetables and meat, it is widely eaten in the western part of africa. I know most of my bloggers do not know this type of vegetable, below is an image of the palm tree and it fruit.
The palm tree is one of the most useful trees that one can find on the continent of Africa. Every part of the tree, from leaves to the roots, is used. The leaves are used to make shelter, or for making brooms for sweeping, the nuts for soup, palm oil, vegetable oil, the nut shells are used by the gold smiths to make fire for melting of gold, the stam to tap palm wine ( A very strong natural drink without chemicals ) and the rest is used as
fire wood.The soup can be combined with meat, fish, poultry or crab fish in one pot or can be cooked separately. http://africanmealnet.com
Palm nut soup recipe
- 600 g palm nut paste
- 200g crubs
- 300g smoked cat fish
- 500g beef
- 10ml salt
- 1-2 litres water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g fresh tomatoes
- 20ml tomato puree
- 1 medium size ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tbs. hot chilli powder
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 100g okro
- In a large saucepan steam beef,fish and crub with chopped onions, garlic, tomato puree and salt about 10minutes
- Add chilli powder, thyme, ginger and bay leaves. Simmer for about 10 minutes
- Mix palm nut paste with water, add the palm nut mixture, fresh tomatoes and okro to the meat.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for at least an hour. (blend fresh tomatoes after half an hour).
- Stir consistently to prevent soup fom scorching. serve with fufu, kenkey,yam or rice.
I hope my post was very informative and very educative! have a great day!!